For some reason, I absolutely love grocery shopping. I have ever since I was little, and my twin brother and I would tag along with my mom. It was always an adventure…mostly the part where we tried to convince her to buy us all the sugary starchy crap that childhood snack time was made of. My mom actually hates going to the store, so as I’ve grown older, I’ve volunteered to go. It’s actually one of my favorite things.
To my mind, grabbing a Starbucks and then wandering up and down the aisles in the search of a great bargain, or that perfect bag of honeycrisp apples (have I mentioned before that they’re my crack? Because…they totally are) is like yoga. I feel at peace, my mind is left to wander as it will, and I float around the world without being antagonized or frazzled by it.
The experience has changed a bit at college. Since I’m using my own money and not the family credit card here (huge bummer), I spend a lot more time shopping for bargains and deciding how much I really need a bag of chips or a jug of juice. Today, for example, I spent half an hour at the grocery, most of which was spent debating if I needed to get those peppermint white chocolate Hershey’s kisses. (Final verdict: no. Don’t need the temptation, and it’s not close enough to Christmas for that to be an excuse).
Here is my grocery list, for any of you college BFAs on a budget. Please be adviced that I usually eat my weekday lunches and dinners in the caf, so this is by no means a comprehensive list.
Lauren’s Awesome Grocery List
1. At least two kinds of cereal (I pick at it constantly. Today it was Cinnamon Life and Vanilla Honey Bunches of Oats)
2. Oatmeal (the kind in a big cannister)
3. Brown sugar (for the oatmeal! I hate the taste of the premade stuff)
4. Wheat Thins Reduced Fat (I caved. I just wanted a snack food!)
5. Keurig Coffee (I hate how expensive this stuff is, but the simplicity can’t be beat)
8. Nestle French Vanilla Creamer
9. Yoplait Light Yogurt
10. 95% fat free Popcorn
11. Gala Apples (they don’t have the good kinds in season here. Perpetual sadness.)